Dobro

I am so excited! I have a new addition to my guitar collection. It's a 1950's Dobro!!!! Isn't it gorgeous? I have always been fascinated by resonator guitars. I never really thought such a thing would pop up in my life. But this came available and I just could not resist! I bought it from an old guy who lives just up the street close by where I live. He is eighty years old and has some lovely guitars. It was great fun talking to him about guitars and looking at some of his. I think that I first developed sort of a fascination with resonator guitars in the late 1980's. At that time I lived in Port Alberni BC and I was involved with a folk music group. We sang and played instruments and we would get a different artist from out of town to come play once a month. I was always more of a singer than anything at that point but that was about the time I got fascinated by stringed instruments. Up until then I had only played wind instruments and only a little. I never mastered any of them. I played the flute a bit. The tin whistle. And I noodled around with my brothers clarinet. 
 Mostly I sang. My Grandmother was an Opera singer when she was young and she started me singing when I was tiny. She had great plans for me I think. She wanted me to perform. I was singing on stage by the time I was about maybe four years old. Goodness that was a long time ago! However she died when I was very young and my family moved away from the city to a tiny little fishing village in the Northern part of BC. It was on a little Island in the Johnson Strait. The Island was eight miles long and four miles wide at it's widest point. Cold and rainy and remote. There were about 600 people on the Island. I saw maybe 30 or so people on a regular basis for the next seven and a half years. Most of those were my class mates. But one of the great things about the tiny school I went to was that we had music class every day. I loved that. 
 Isn't this little Ukelele cute? This is also a new edition to my collection. I thought it would be a good thing to learn. Maybe help me with learning the mandolin a bit too. I don't know if you can tell from the photo but it is light blue. It's kinda funny. It turns out that it matches the colour I painted my walls exactly. Kind of an odd coincidence.
The other thing I recently acquired is these three dolls to add to my doll collection. I have to laugh. I don't usually do clown dolls. But these are hand made. Most likely from the 1970's. Very beautifully made. The faces are done in liquid embroidery. Something I used to do with my Grandmother when I was little. So I could not resist them. But they won't be going in my bedroom. And tonight I cannot sleep. So if I never write on here again you will know that these babies have chopped a into a million pieces during the night. The third doll is a grey Lamb. I thought it was appropriate as I spin and weave and knit. So far the clowns have not killed it and eaten it's guts. 
Yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Tiny House Inside

Bertie and Bercie

My garden this spring